Toby has been eating the same meal for dinner every day since he was a puppy. A large tablespoon of mince, mixed in with his kibble. Lately, we have noticed he isn’t enjoying his dinner as much. He gets his dinner at 6pm and will look at it, sniff it, look up at me as if to say, ‘Again?!’ then he walks off without even touching it.
I leave his dinner out for 10 minutes and if he doesn’t touch it, I put it away. At 7.30pm I’ll put it out again and he will sniff it and walk away. I’ll put his dinner away yet again and then at 9pm bring it out and that’s when he usually eats it all because he is starving and realises he isn’t getting anything else.
This has been going on for about a month now and although I don’t want to give in to him being fussy, I do want him to enjoy what he eats as he only gets one meal a day.
I decided to make my own dog food and mix it in with his kibble to change things up a little. Toby is loving this concoction and is happy to gobble it all up at dinner time. What I love about this meal is that it’s healthy and super easy to make.
The Ingredients you will need:
- 6 cups of water
- 500g of mince (any mince will do, it can be turkey, chicken, lamb, beef)
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 300g frozen diced vegetables (broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower combination)
^ Turkey mince
^ Brown rice
^ Frozen vegetables
It will take you 5 minutes to prepare, if that and 35 minutes to cook.
1. Place the water, mince and rice into a large saucepan.
2. Stir until the mince is broken up and evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the frozen vegetables and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate or freeze until using.
^ The mince, rice and water all mixed together
^ I’m waiting patiently for the mince, rice and water to come to a boil
^ Let’s have a quick, little look if it’s boiling
^ Simmer for half an hour until the rice is almost cooked
^ Throw in the mixed vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes
^ Pack them up in plastic containers and pop them in the freezer and keep one container in the fridge to use
^ I give Toby one large tablespoon of this yummy concoction and mix it in with one cup of kibble
^ Thank you mum for mixing up my dinners, I really love this dish!